District 118 Superintendent of Schools
555 N. Main Street, Wauconda, IL 60084
(Enter through Door 26)
847-526-7690 Fax 847-526-1019
Dr. Daniel J. Coles, Superintendent of Schools
email@example.com (847) 526-7690 ext. 9000
Sue Mezzano, Administrative Assistant
firstname.lastname@example.org (847) 526-7690 ext. 9003
Welcome from the Superintendent
Welcome to the Wauconda Community Unit School District 118 website. The purpose of the website is to provide information about our school district and especially our six wonderful schools. Should you have any questions regarding the information presented, you may contact an individual school directly by phone/fax or the district office.
Wauconda Community School District 118 is a PreKindergarten - 12th grade public school system operating in western Lake county and eastern McHenry county in the state of Illinois. We serve all or parts of six villages: Wauconda, Island Lake, Lake Barrington, Lakemoor, Port Barrington, and Volo as well as unincorporated areas in Wauconda, Algonquin, Fremont and Nunda Townships. The total area of our school district is 28 square miles. The District Boundary Map displays school district boundaries as well as school locations. We invite you to find out more about each school by visiting their section on this web site.
Dr. Daniel J. Coles
|Wauconda High School||9 - 12|
|Wauconda Middle School||6 - 8|
|Matthews Middle School||6 - 8|
|Wauconda Grade School||PreK - 5|
|Robert Crown School||PreK - 5|
|Cotton Creek School||K - 5|
- A seven member Board of Education governs Wauconda District 118. The Board typically meets on the first and third Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the District Office Board Room located at Wauconda High School.
- Our student population is over 4,700. We have a teaching staff of 350 and an administrative staff of 27. A support staff of 200 secretaries, custodians, bus drivers, classroom aides, and maintenance workers is available to serve our students.
- The curriculum is reviewed and updated on a regular adoption cycle. Staff are currently refining the curriculum which are aligned to the new Illinois Learning Standards. An assessment plan is also in place to insure that accountability for student academic progress is maintained.
- Programs for identified students are also available in the areas of special education, bilingual education, and accelerated/honors/advanced placement education.
- A variety of extra-curricular clubs, intramurals and interscholastic sports are offered at various grade levels.
- Each school has a wireless network which provides web access to both students and staff. In school 1:1 Chromebooks are utilized in grades 1-8. Beginning with the 2016/17 school year, all Freshman students will receive a Chromebook to use at both home and at school. Wauconda High School also has six (6) dedicated computer labs as well as Chromebooks on carts. Technology-based learning opportunities are implemented across all grade levels and are periodically reviewed by our District 118 Technology Committee.
- Staff training is provided and delivered through a variety of means. Emphasis is placed on curriculum implementation, teaching strategies, the use of assessment tools, the use of computers to enhance instruction and school safety.
- A strategic plan exists to guide the setting of district goals on an annual basis. Administrators are evaluated in part on their accomplishment of these annual goals.
- Each school has a school improvement plan in place. This plan helps staff identify areas of improvement that will have a positive impact on students.
- PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports) serves as the impetus for teaching appropriate behaviors in our schools.
- The district maintains its own Transportation Department and bus fleet.
Dr. Daniel J. Coles
Superintendent of Schools - Wauconda CUSD 118