Welcome from the Superintendent
Welcome to the Wauconda Community Unit School District 118 website. Through
this on-line resource, we hope that you can gain information concerning our
six schools and the school district as a whole. Should you have any questions
regarding the information presented, you may contact an individual school directly by phone/fax or the district office.
Wauconda Community School District 118 is a grades PreKindergarten -12 school
system operating in western Lake county and eastern McHenry county in Illinois.
We serve all or parts of six villages (Wauconda, Island Lake, Lake Barrington,
Lakemoor, Port Barrington, and Volo) including unincorporated areas. The
total area of our school district is 28 square miles. There are six schools
in our district. The District
Boundary Map displays school district boundaries as well as school locations. We
invite you to find out more about each school by visiting their section
on this web site.
- A seven member Board
of Education governs Wauconda District 118. The Board usually meets
on the first and third Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the District
Office Board Room at Wauconda High School.
- Our student population is approximately 4,300. We have a teaching staff
of 300 and an administrative staff of 20. A support staff of 200 secretaries,
custodians, bus drivers, classroom aides, and maintenance workers is available
to serve our students.
- The curriculum is reviewed and updated on a regular adoption cycle.
In addition, the curriculum is aligned with the Illinois Learning Standards.
An assessment plan is also in place to insure that accountability for
student academic progress is maintained.
- Programs for identified students are also available in the areas of special
education, and gifted/honors
- A variety of extra curricular clubs, intramurals and interscholastic
sports are offered at various grade levels.
- Each K-8 school has access to high speed Internet via a dedicated computer
lab as well as mobile computer labs. Wauconda High School has a total
of six (6) dedicated computer labs with Internet access as well as a mobile
computer lab. Additional technology-based learning opportunities are implemented
across all grade levels and are periodically reviewed by our District
118 Technology Committee, which generally meets the first Monday of each
month during the school year at 6:00 p.m. in the District Office.
- Each Wauconda CUSD #118 school is implementing the "First Class" positive
character program whereby staff and students practice these four principals
in their dealing with one another.
- We treat each other with dignity and respect.
- We use appropriate language when communicating.
- We take pride in the appearance of our school.
- We solve problems by stopping, thinking, and discussing the
- Staff training is provided and delivered through a variety of means.
Emphasis is placed on curriculum implementation, teaching strategies,
the use of assessment tools, and the use of computers to enhance instruction.
- A strategic plan exists to guide the setting of district goals on an
annual basis. Administrators are evaluated in part on their accomplishment
of these annual goals.
- Each school has a school improvement plan in place. This plan helps
staff identify areas of improvement that will have a positive impact on
- The district maintains its own Transportation
Department and bus fleet.
We hope this brief overview of our school district will entice you to seek
out more information on our website. Additional information concerning the
successful achievement of our students and previous district initiatives
may be found in our Community Link newsletters. Thanks again for
visiting our website to find out more about our wonderful learning community!
Dr. Daniel J. Coles
Superintendent of Schools - Wauconda CUSD 118